As you can see, I had an abundance of strawberries and before they went bad, I needed to think of recipes quick!
Here is one of several recipes that I made gluten-free. It’s quick, easy and so delicious!
Also, after researching certain ingredients that I could incorporate to make this recipe healthier…. I learned what oils to avoid. I was shocked because some oils I thought were healthy, can actually be harmful when heated.
After the recipe, keep scrolling to learn what oils I’m talking about and what to use instead.
What You Need
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (read below on why I chose butter over oil)
- 2 medium size ripe bananas (blended)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon cinnamon (depends on how much you love it)
- 1 2/3 gluten free flour (I use rice flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum (more info on what xanthan gum is)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup strawberries (chop in small pieces)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 12 muffin pan with paper or spray/grease cups.
(I still do a light spray on the muffin papers.)
2. Stir flour, baking soda, xanthan gum, cinnamon and salt in bowl.
3. In separate bowl blend oil, eggs, vanilla, sugar and already mashed bananas.
4. Combine dry and wet ingredients.
5. Fold strawberries into mix.
6. Put batter in muffin pan (makes roughly 12).
7. Bake 15-25 minutes – dependent on size of muffins.
– Make sure toothpick or fork comes out clean.
Picking The Right Oil To Cook With
Certain oils have been proven to not be suitable to cook with. Those oils include vegetable oils like sunflower and corn.
These oils when fried or cooked with (roughly 356F), will undergo what’s called oxidation – which produces what’s called aldehydes. Consuming or inhaling aldehydes, even in small amounts, has been linked to increased risk of heart disease and cancer.
Instead, scientists recommend cooking or frying food with coconut oil, olive oil, butter or even LARD!
I hope this food for thought helps.
Happy Baking 🙂
Take a picture and tag me in your finished products on instagram!
Disclaimer: I am not a licensed health professional and this blog is for entertainment purposes only. Always talk to your doctor about health concerns and changes that are best for you 🙂